An all too often forgotten line item on people’s to-do lists is: “Clean the Dryer Vent.” It’s good practice to wipe out the lint trap after each use, but, unfortunately, this isn’t enough. The vent leading to your dryer needs to be inspected and cleaned regularly to ensure optimum efficiency and prevent house fires.
If you’ve noticed any of these warning signs, it means your dryer vent needs to be cleaned:
● Your clothes take a long time to dry, and you have to keep bumping up the timer.
● The dryer emits a burning smell while it is being used.
● The dryer is hot to the touch when in use.
● There’s a considerable amount of lint and debris in the lint trap and around the dryer hose.
Now that you know which signs to watch out for in a worst-case scenario, let’s look at how often your dryer vent should be cleaned and why this schedule is so important.
When to Have Your Dryer Vent Cleaned
How many times a year should your dryer vent be cleaned? Experts say you should have your dryer vent cleaned at least once a year. Remember — this does not pertain to cleaning the lint out of the lint trap. You should remove the lint here after each cycle.
During a dryer vent cleaning, the vent opening will need to be inspected, and the entire length of the dryer vent will need to be cleaned. It can be a time-consuming task, which is why people often hire HVAC technicians who already have the right tools on hand to complete the job.
You may need to have your dryer vent cleaned more than once a year, especially if:
● You have a large family and have to run a lot of loads of laundry.
● You have pets with hair that clog the dryer vent.
● You do many loads of bulky items, such as blankets, towels, and fleece clothing.
● You wash a lot of new clothes, which produce more lint and clog dryer vents more quickly.
How do you know if you need a dryer vent cleaned more than once a year? This is where recognizing those signs of a malfunctioning dryer is essential. Get in touch with an HVAC expert if you notice your dryer isn’t working as well as it once did.
Why Cleaning Your Dryer Vent Is Important
A clogged dryer vent not only struggles to dry your clothes, towels, and bedding but also becomes a safety hazard. Dryer fires can happen at any point and consume entire houses. A simple cleaning every year can protect your household.
A professional dryer vent cleaning can also extend the life of your dryer and save energy. A small investment today can turn into significant savings in the future.
What a Dryer Vent Cleaning Includes
What will a professional HVAC technician do while servicing your dryer? Dryer vent cleaning involves the following:
● Inspecting the dryer vent opening outside your house
● Cleaning lint, dirt, debris, leaves, and animal droppings from the vent
● Cleaning the area behind the dryer
● Cleaning the dryer lint trap and drum
Don’t Let Your Laundry Be Hung Out to Dry!
To ensure your clothes dryer works as it should, don’t skip this essential preventive maintenance. You could do it yourself, but many homeowners rely on experts to do it right.
Our professional technicians can help with your dryer vent cleaning in Salem, MA, and any other HVAC maintenance or repairs that you need. Get in touch with us today!